What are the signs of an allergic reaction to cinnamon?

Spices, including cinnamon.

An allergic reaction to cinnamon can cause a wide range of symptoms, depending on the severity of the allergy and whether the cinnamon touches the skin or is ingested. Some of the more common symptoms include watery eyes, a runny nose, and a cough. Skin irritation can lead to various types of dermatitis, including eczema. Swelling of the face or throat, especially if accompanied by difficulty breathing, may indicate a serious and life-threatening allergic reaction known as anaphylaxis.

cinnamon sticks

In many cases, an allergic reaction to cinnamon is so subtle that it can be mistaken for other conditions, such as the common cold or seasonal allergies. This is especially true when cinnamon is an ingredient added to a product, because the affected person may not be aware that the spice has been consumed. Itching, watery eyes, and a stuffy or runny nose are commonly reported as signs of a reaction and usually begin within seconds to minutes of contact with cinnamon. Cough, low-grade fever, or sore throat may also occur. People with underlying respiratory conditions such as asthma may notice worsening symptoms after coming into contact with this spice.

An allergic reaction to cinnamon can cause breathing problems.

Sometimes an allergic reaction can appear in the form of skin irritation, known medically as dermatitis. This usually involves a condition known as eczema, where the skin may itch, flake, or develop blisters that break open. This type of reaction is most common when cinnamon comes into contact with the skin, although people with a relatively mild allergy may develop skin symptoms if cinnamon is ingested repeatedly.

See also  What should I do after a cystoscopy? (with photos)

A sore throat is a possible sign of an allergic reaction to cinnamon.

Anaphylaxis can occur during an allergic reaction to cinnamon, although this is not common. Symptoms of this serious type of allergic reaction may include swelling of the face, tongue, or throat, as well as difficulty breathing. When breathing becomes difficult, there is a risk of oxygen deprivation to the brain and other organs in the body, which can cause permanent brain damage or even death within minutes. Life support measures, such as oxygen therapy, may be necessary, and hospitalization is likely until the patient’s health stabilizes.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *